Bowmar Nutrition Pre Workout Review: In this review, we’ll see how Bowmar Nutrition’s newest pre workout compares to other pre-workouts in terms of muscle pumps, energy enhancement, endurance support, and mental support amongst other benefits.
[AT A GLANCE] There are two Bowmar Nutrition pre workout formulas on sale. One is stim while another is non-stim. We’ll be focusing on the non-stim formula in this review. Although it’s not very effective at boosting energy, it’s good for increasing muscle pumps. The stim formula contains too many aggressive stimulants, including Citrus Aurantium, Yohimbine and caffeine – some of which are banned due to nausea, high blood pressure, panic attacks and other side effects they can cause. If you’re used to high-stim pre workouts, though, then it could work well for you. Here are the key things you should know about Bowmar Pre Workout:
- 1-2 scoops 30 minutes before training
- 40/20 servings per container
- $37.99 per tub
- The non stim formula has Ashwgandha that boosts mood and reduces stress
- The stim formula gives more energy but it’s unstable, causing a crash afterwards
- We rate the non-stim formula as the better option, although it’s not the best pre workout we’ve tested
- Bowmar Nutrition Pre-Workout (both stim and non-stim versions) contain artificial sweetener suclarose
See Our Current #1 Rated Pre-Workout: 4Gauge
Flavors & Mixability – Our Thoughts
Although a relatively new company, Bowmar Nutrition has gained a lot of praise and good reviews from its customers ever since the company’s inception in 2019. One reason why is the wide range of excellent flavors they offer.
Bowmar Nutrition Pre Workout comes in 10 different flavors. You should know that only 2 of those are non-stim options (sour gummy and lemonade). Others have caffeine, Citrus Aurantium and other stimulants. Including the Cold Brew which is our favorite flavor.
In terms of mixability, it’s decent. It dissolves within seconds in a shaker bottle. But in a glass of water, mixing it with a spoon takes about 1-2 minutes to fully dissolve, which can be a headache!
How Does Bowmar Pre Workout Work?
Bowmar Pre Workout contains ingredients that are claimed to:
- Increase nitric oxide levels in the blood – dilating and widening blood vessels in the process
- Boost the production of feel-good chemicals – including dopamine and acetlycholine which keep you focused
- Enhance ATP energy production – improving mitochondria’s efficiency so you can train harder for longer
Sounds promising, just what you’d expect from a top pre-workout. But how well does it actually work? That’s what we aim to investigate in the next section!
As we’ve repeated, Bowmar Nutrition Pre Workout comes in two different versions. The stim version and the non-stim version.
The main difference is that the stim version contains caffeine, Alpha GPC, Yohimbine, and some other ingredients intended to stimulate your Central Nervous System.
Yohimbine is the biggest issue here – it’s been banned by some institutions due to its aggressive effects on the heart. Combined with caffeine and other stims in Bowmar Pre workout only makes it worse. This is why we’ll do a closer breakdown of the non-stim formula which is much safer.
Here are the ingredients in Bowmar Pre Workout:
- L-Citrulline (2,500mg) – boosts muscle pumps. (see a study here)
- Taurine (2,000mg) – promotes mental relaxation and aids liver function.
- Betaine Anhydrous (1,500mg) – this will boost your max lifts (deadlifts, squats) by a few reps.
- L-Tyrosine (1000mg) – improves mental performance and concentration during intense exercise.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine (500mg) – antioxidant that can protect brain cells from damage.
- Green Tea Leaf Extract (150mg) – contains polyphenols and catechins which support general health.
- Ashwagandha (150mg) – sometimes called ‘the strength of the horse,’ Ashwagandha reduces the effects of stress.
- Citrapeak Citrus Aurantium (100mg) – also known as bitter orange peel, it’s an aggressive stimulant.
- Citrus Aurantium Bioflavonoids (50mg) – these are antioxidants from bitter orange peel.
Overall, the formula has some great things about it, and a few that aren’t that great!
For one, it has L-Tyrosine, Acetyl L-Carnitine and Taurine, all of which will put you in a positive mood. Taurine is the only one we’d remove from the list, though, as it can cause slight sedation. Obviously, not something we’d want during a workout!
- We also have L-Citrulline which raises your blood nitric oxide levels. This, in turn, dilates and widens your blood vessels – making your muscles appear ‘fuller’.
Ashwagandha is a great ingredient for reducing cortisol, the stress hormone. But it’s underdosed. The effects won’t be optimal.
Green Tea is an excellent choice as a light source of caffeine, but Citrus Aurantium is unecessary in our opinion – its effects are too unreliable in terms of highs and lows. It will give you energy but it also usually comes with a nasty crash afterwards, worse than caffeine itself.
Generally speaking though, if you want more energy and bigger muscle pumps, then these ingredients will definitely give your workouts a boost.
Bowmar Nutrition Pre Workout is missing one of our favorite pre-workout ingredients, L-Theanine, which is excellent for focus and mental willpower when you don’t feel like working out. It could also use the help of creatine which is the most studied sports supplement in existence.
Apart from that, it’s a decent formula! 7/10 from us.
Any Side Effects to Worry About?
Bowmar Nutrition non-stim version pre workout shouldn’t give you any side effects. Yes, Citrus Aurantium is an ingredient with aggressive stimulant properties, but luckily guys at Bowmar have put a relatively low dose in the pre workout, so there shouldn’t be any issues.
That said, if you are sensitive to stimulants in general, then do speak to your doctor before taking this product.
Conclusion to Bowmar Nutrition Pre Workout Review
That concludes our Bowmar pre workout review! So, is it worth the $38?
The biggest positive about this pre workout is that you’re offered plenty of flavor options. If the flavor is essential to you then this could be the key selling point of the product. The flavors are not natural though so if you’re worried about the negative effects of suclarose on gut health it could be a reason to steer clear.
Apart from that, the non-stim formula is good for improving muscle pumps. It will also give you some energy, albeit unreliable due to Citrus Aurantium’s harsh highs and lows. It’s certainly not as bad as the stim version of Bowmar Pre Workout which is too aggressive in our experience!
If you’re looking for the best pre workouts on the market, be sure to check our other reviews!
For our current top-rated pre workout product, we recommend 4Gauge. Visit their website: https://www.4gauge.com/