We all have days when we don’t feel like working out. But, those days add up over time, and can make a big difference in how your physique looks. A consistent workout routine is non-negotiable if you want to have a body that other people will admire and comment on.
A quality pre-workout supplement can not only give you the motivation to get to the gym, but also the energy to crush your workout once there. This can lead to massive gains in the long-run!
With so many options on the market though, it can be hard to tell which pre-workout is the right for you. In this particular review, we’ll be checking Beyond Raw Lit AF, which is one of the more popular pre-workout supplements on the market.
Let’s check if it’s safe and effective, and how it compares to other pre-workouts in terms of boosting your energy, increasing mental focus, and enhancing muscle pumps and recovery from sets.
Beyond Raw Lit AF At a Glance
- Can boost performance and focus
- Has only 20 calories
- Available in 5 distinct flavors
- No added sugar (but contains Sucralose)
- Some of its artificial flavors can be detrimental to gut and brain health in the long-run
- 300mg of caffeine (equals 3 cups of coffee) per serving
- 12 active ingredients
- 20 servings
- High in sodium
- May cause side effects
- Quite expensive at $44.99
What do we recommend?
About Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout
Let’s start our Beyond Raw Lit review by saying: this pre-workout can supposedly help you become a God.
But really, for a product that has only 20 calories, Beyond Raw promises a lot. Its main claims are:
- You get a super-intense pump during your workout
- It will help with endurance and performance
- Some of its ingredients, such as creatine, are very well researched
- Has no added sugar, so won’t get your blood sugar levels up
Based on this information, we could assume that the pre-workout is best suitable for those very dedicated to either bodybuilding or powerlifting. As it contains potentially harmful amounts of caffeine, it should be skipped if you’re unsure about your tolerance to stimulants. So get your heart checked first, peeps!
And if you’re one of those people who will never touch a product made by an unknown brand, then you’re in luck. Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout is manufactured by GNC. And if you don’t know who GNC are…well, they are BIG. And by that I mean, they were founded in 1935 in Pennsylvania and are currently worth $472 million. Impressive? Sure.
How to use Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout
Since it’s a PRE workout, you’re supposed to use Beyond Raw Lit AF 30-45 minutes before exercising. Though you could also take it on non-training days if you require additional focus (pre-job interview, for instance).
Mix a scoop with 300ml of cold water. Mix, mix, mix, and you’re ready to go. As there are 20 servings per tub, it should last you around 5 weeks (if you train 4 times a week).
As a side note, make sure you don’t take this before bedtime because with the amount of caffeine this has, you will not fall asleep anytime soon.
The supplement is available in 5 distinct flavors: Icy Fireworks, Lemon Ice, Sweet and Tart & Gummy Worm.
Interestingly, Lit AF Pre Workout Gummy Worm flavor is the one that has been advertised the most, and it has the most sales, as well.
Here’s a little breakdown of the different flavors and how they tasted to us:
- The Sweet and Tart taste like: Smarties
- Icy Fireworks taste like: Bomb Pops
- Lemon Ice tastes like: Lemonade
- Gummy Worm tastes like: Gummy Worms
Generally speaking, all of the flavors are decent, though they do leave a slight artificial aftertaste. If I had to take a guess, I’d say that’s from sucralose which, if it wasn’t for the purpose of this review, I’d avoid taking (it’s shown in studies to alter gut microbiome).
Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout Ingredients
Unlike in many other pre-workouts, the ingredients list in this supplement is not extremely long. It’s got 12 main ingredients, 3 of which are a caffeine blend. A notable chunk of the formula is fillers and additives.
So, let’s take a closer look at the main ingredients in Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout:
- L-Citrulline Malate 2:1 (8 g) – this amino acid is naturally produced by the brain tissues, heart, and muscles. It’s often used for lowering blood pressure and weight training. According to this study, L-Citrulline is capable of increasing ‘anaerobic performance and relieve muscle soreness. AND it boosts muscle pumps. Great choice!
- CarnoSyn® Beta-Alanine (3.2 g) – a non-essential amino acid. It’s been shown to improve workout performance and overall strength by increasing carnosine in the body (it reduces muscle acidity). Interestingly, it can also aid with increasing overall body mass. Some people don’t like the distracting tingling sensation that Beta-Alanine can cause. If you fall into that category, check our article on Best Pre-Workouts Without Beta-Alanine.
- BETAPOWER® Betaine Anhydrous (2.5 g) – a naturally occurring chemical also found in certain food such as spinach, beetroot, and wine. This study looked at betaine’s effects on strength during workouts. It found that after 6 weeks of supplementation, the subject’s bench press capacity and power increased.
- Micronized Creatine (as Creatine Monohydrate) (2 g) – Creatine has been used in bodybuilding for years, and for a good reason. It’s one of the most studied supplements, with over 1000 studies confirming its effectiveness. It’s proven to increase strength, lean muscle mass, and reduce soreness. It occurs naturally in brain and muscle tissues.
- Nitrosigine® (Arginine Silicate Inositol) (1.5 g) – increases energy levels and blood flow to the muscles (for up t 6 hours!), helping to achieve ‘the pump’.
- Taurine (1 g) – often found in energy drinks, taurine is actually an amino acid responsible for the metabolic processes within the body. When used alongside caffeine, it can dramatically boost mental clarity and focus. Unfortunately, just like caffeine, taurine will often cause a sudden ‘crash’ shortly after drinking.
- Peak ATP® (Adenosine 5′-Triphosphate disodium) (400 mg) – proved by this study to boost muscle strength and improve deadlift and squat performance, as well as increase muscle hypertrophy.
- Caffeine Blend: (300 mg total caffeine) – caffeine is a stimulant found in popular drinks such as coffee, tea, and cocoa powder. It may promote temporary brain alertness and even decrease suicide risk. It often produces side effects and should be consumed in amounts no larger than 250 mg per day on regular basis.
Out of which:
- Rapid Release as Caffeine Anhydrous (250 mg)
- Targeted Release as ZümXR® Caffeine (50 mg)
- Alpha-GPC (alpha-Glycerol Phosphoryl Choline) (150 mg)
Check the best Pre-Workouts on sale right now:
Beyond Raw Lit AF Nutrition Facts
Here’s the macro and micro breakdown per serving:
- Carbs – 5g
- Sugars – 0g
- Sodium – 40mg
- Potassium – 200mg
- Calcium – 150mg
Total calories = 20
Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout currently has a 5-star rating and over 2,261 reviews on Amazon alone. That being said, there have been negative reviews lately, claiming that the product and its formula has changed:
‘Not the same as it was.’ – Matt
‘I have used LIT for about 3 years now. 1 Scoop was about as potent as 2 scoops of C4. Key word WAS. This last order I got has a new scoop about twice the size of the previous versions.’ – Dustin
Many also seem dissatisfied with the taste:
‘Tastes more like super sugary really weak lemonade.’ – Lynn
‘The flavor was 3/5, it tasted super artificial to me.’ – Britanny
‘I have a strong dislike for the flavor of this product. I couldn’t stand drinking it the way it was meant to be mixed.’ – MamaZon
But some seem to love it:
‘It tastes amazing’ – Sovereignty
‘Really like the LIT AF it has become my new favorite’ -Cosmo
Does Beyond Raw Lit AF Pre Workout Have Side Effects?
As with any product (and particularly a pre-workout), this one can cause problems for some. Side effects mainly come from the fact that the supplement is packed with caffeine, sodium, and artificial flavors.
- Beyond Raw Lit caffeine content is huge at 300mg and can have you shaking and jittering for hours
- As it’s high in sodium, it can impact your blood pressure and cause excess fluid retention. Also, bad for the heart and kidneys.
- Can cause palpitations, headaches, and even mood swings.
- Due to its Sucralose content, the product can also cause diarrhea and stomach issues such as excess gas and bloating.
Beyond Raw Lit, AF Pre Workout is a popular pre-workout that is supposed to help with mental clarity, better performance, and increased muscle growth. It contains many well-studied ingredients that are proven to work.
That being said, the supplement is quite expensive, contains artificial flavors and sweeteners. But it does have many positive reviews on Amazon and has only 20 calories per serving.
But if you’re wondering: Is Lit AF Pre Workout safe? The answer is: well, yes and no. It depends on your stance on artificial sweeteners (it’s still a controversial topic), whether you have high blood pressure or caffeine sensitivity.
If you’re looking for a 100% natural pre-workout that also has some of the best ingredients on the market, be sure to check our top 5 below.